Do you remember how last Spring I was so excited to move to our current rental and see all the wildlife? Yes, and how I was so excited about the woodchuck I saw by our shed?
Well, then we learned that they're varmints and that they tunnel under buildings, compromising the foundation. So...then Joe got out his gun. A big gun.
No more Woodchuck.
Until this evening, that is. Now my husband will have something else to take care of. And then we will all mourn the woodchuck. *sniffle.*
Anyway, now that I have offended all the varmint lovers out there, let's get to the point of this post--starting with the before AND after! (hey, you've already read this far, you deserve it).
Don't think you've seen it all yet, though. Because I have a big surprise at the end...
You don't want to wait?
Well, okay, here's the top!
Since I'm in a wax-resist stencil craze, I thought I would experiment a little more with the technique. If you missed my post on this really simple and fun way to stencil, please hop over to my post on the Wax-Resist Stenciled Planter. You won't be disappointed :)
Okay, back to the dreary "before":
Then it magically popped up again! Woo Hoo! And I put my phone number in the message this time, which must have been the magic bullet because I brought it home later that day. Score.
I think Joe thought me a bit crazy...when does he not? But the details on this piece were so great.
Great scrolly brackets...
Can you see the faint outline of an inlay?
...and even a great detailed apron.
Seriously, great brackets, legs and an apron? Hello, it sounds like the perfect woman, right?
Anyway, here's her transformation:
I simply laid a hot, wet rag on top of sections, then peeled off this green latex.
Isn't it great when it comes off this easy?
Upholstered Chair Fit for a Princess? Well, this is the one that "L" gave me because I
Note to self: Never, and I mean NEVER use hot glue to fix your furniture. Seriously? All it does is gum up the cracks so that you can't really ever fix it properly without fixing the hot-glue mess!! Ugh!
Now, I love hot glue as much as the next crafter. But it has its place.
You wouldn't fix the cracked motor block of your car with JB Weld, would you? (Oh, wait. Yes, someone out there would. We bought your car. Stupid).
Bad example. But still, don't use hot glue to glue your furniture back together. Just. don't.
I ended up taking off the "box" that sits on top of the dresser, along with the brackets on each side. I sanded, broke apart the old bad glue job & fixed the brackets. And I finished the top "box" separately from the top of the dresser. Here's my list of products:
1. Zinsser FastPrime2, tinted with some black latex paint I had around and thinned with a little Floetrol
to make it go on a bit smoother.
2. Minwax Dark Walnut Oil-based stain--I used this to stain the exposed wood, and also put a very
thin layer on top of the paint before sealing.
3. Minwax Polycrylic to seal it up.
And for the hardware...I painted it. But not how I normally would. It came with this new, but not awesome wood & brass hardware (the blonde oak is the "before")
I finished this piece pretty much the same way as the ever popular Antique Distressed Dresser. If you want a detailed tutorial, check out that post. The only difference is that for this piece I left the top natural and put a much thinner layer of stain on top of the paint. I thinned it down with mineral spirits so it made almost no difference--just went into the bare wood of the edges.
Here are some more pretty pictures of her new life:
(Again, check out the tutorial on this stencil technique, Wax-Resist Stenciled Planter)
Beautiful. This is probably my favorite dresser so far. I just love her details, and of course her legs :)
...and she lives happily ever after.
As We Observe Memorial Day: Thank you to all who have lost loved ones & friends while they were defending our country's freedom. We cannot thank you and your family enough for the sacrifices that have been made on our behalf. God Bless.
~The Doodle Bug
I'm usually partyin' at these hangouts: