Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mid-Century Sideboard & BIG NEWS!!

Are y'all ready for this?

I don't think you are.
Picking strawberries in June
Those of you who are lucky enough to know me in person (ha ha, I'm such a snot) will already have figured out why I have been MIA on my blog for about the past three months.  Three.  Months.

But don't think I haven't thought about you, my dear readers.  I have thought about how many times people might have checked in to see what's going on, and been slapped in the eyeballs with the
same. post. over and over again.  My apologies.  Here is my list of excuses (not the picture, I'm just trying to send some pictures your way to catch you up):
My birthday "cake" in May
1.  Joe and I have been trying to buy a house for...well, just under a year now.  AND WE FINALLY DID!!!  But the closing process was very drawn out and such, so I was a little preoccupied with packing...then waiting two weeks and unpacking things as I needed them...then repacking them.
But we did close on a house that we love about three weeks ago, and have been painting, spackling, moving, buying stuff, installing, uninstalling, and many other very exciting things ever since then.
Our new house!  Ignore weeds...
Why, though, have I been gone so long?!!

ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE CENTURY:
We're gonna have a baby!!!
Yes, yes, please swoon and scream.  It's completely called for :)
Joe and I are sooooooo excited.  Our little bundle is due January 26, so there will soon be some nursery posts and such, along with pictures of our house as we finish up some projects.

No, we don't know if it's a boy or girl, you can all take bets and give me your winnings :)
Oh, and here's our little Jip now, all growed up.  *sniff*

And for a little taste of our new house, here is a project that I actually finished up about two months ago, but have been waiting to get into our new living room.

Introducing:  The Mid-Century Sideboard
 Uck.  I bought it for $15 bucks at a garage sale--and I realized a little later that it was solid oak.  Yessss...because veneer is just not my favorite.

Here are a few inspirational shots that I used to figure out what to do:
I knew I wanted wood + white.  The question was, do I want wood outside and white inside, or the other way around?  Wood drawers is by far the more popular choice...but then you're left with a scratch-me-with-anything white top, and I am simply not careful enough for something like that.  Also, this sideboard has curvy drawers, so sanding would have been a nightmare.

White drawers won.
 Nice oak, huh?
That concludes my process shots.  Because I got excited...or lazy.  Not really sure.
Blame it on baby-brain.  I blame everything on that now, it's awesome.

But here's the process in a nutshell:  Sanded with orbital and hand-sanding; Sealed natural wood with Minwax Polycrylic--2 coats on the side, 3 on the top);  Taped off the places that I wanted to remain wood but would be painting next to; Primed painted areas with Zinsser FastPrime2; Second coat of primer;  Two coats of a white, semi-gloss paint (actually my paint was flat, so I mixed in some Gloss Polycrylic...worked great!).

After all that, and letting it sit covered up in our basement for a couple months, here she is!!
See my other treasures?  This was really fun to fiddle with.  Left to right:
1.  Bamboo I bought awhile back that has fallen over on many people.
2.  My beloved record player.  You can read all about it here!
3.  Antique Fan that I found at a sketchy secondhand store in St. Paul for $5.  Joe rewired it :)

And now I know what you're asking.  "Where in the world did you get that beautiful picture???!"
    Well, actually it's an original photograph taken by the famous Cheryl Lancaster.
Otherwise known as MY MOM!!!  Isn't she AWESOME??!!!
This is one of my favorite pictures of hers, and I was always talking about it.  So she got it printed on canvas and asked if I might like to have it.  Uh, yes, please.

If you want to follow her photography, she posts her new shots on her blog, cherylshootsphotography.  Check her out and show her some love.  I believe many of her shots are for sale, as well...in case you have crazy picture jealousy ;)  Just contact her through her blog.

In case you forgot how NOT awesome this thing was before, here is a reminder:
Ahhh, the color palette and accesories make me feel so happy right now.  I've been waiting and waiting, and it's really starting to feel like home.

Now just to have a little one screaming upstairs...

~The Doodle Bug



I'm usually partyin' at these hangouts:

Friday Feature @ Redoux
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Show & Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Simply Creations Link Party @ Simple Home. Life
It's a Hodgepodge Friday @ It's a Hodgepodge Life
Spotlight Saturday @ Classy Clutter
Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday @ Kammy's Korner
DIY Club


10 comments:

  1. I love how you did the sideboard and then put it all together. It looks really great! And thank you for the promo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely love that! whenever i get the courage to redo a piece that i have, this is what i'm going to do!

    congrats on your new home and your baby news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing transformation!! Love it and so jealous because I can NEVER get in on these great cheap finds. You did an outstanding job and thank you for linking up.
    ~Gay~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out just beautiful! Congrats on expecting! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Simple Home Life. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-9.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sideboard is a beauty! Mid-century modern is so popular right now! ... But on to the bigger news - yay for you! Huge congratulations and best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! It will be an exciting few months for you all. Your side board turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job with this! I just picked up a similar sideboard, too. I love the contrast that you added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love what you did with this piece! It turned out so beautiful! I'm just loving mid-century modern furniture lately, and this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the blonde on white you chose! Mid Century Mod is my favorite style. I don't know you guys but good luck and God bless with your baby to come.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and questions!