Yes, I'm still pregnant :)
Baby seems perfectly content to keep hangin' around in my belly, so for now you get to wait in expectancy with me. Except you can probably walk without waddling, so you can only kind of sympathize.
Okay, I just made that up.
But I have been getting a few people asking questions about projects via the new "contacts" tab, and I'm loving all your creativity and sweet compliments! Also, the archive tabs above are all updated and ready for you, so if this baby comes before I can put up another post, you'll be set for a bit.
(Joe and I actually think that since we have family driving from 5 and 12 hours away, the baby is bound to come during a snow storm. We keep checking the forecast to figure out when the little munchkin's going to arrive. Nothing yet...)
Here we go.
Mission-Style Rocking Chairs
This was a project I was hired to do for a wonderful couple at our church. Let's call them the M&M's (because I'm apparently still not over that chocolate craze of a previous post). The chairs came to them from Mr. M&M's mother, and Mrs. M&M just wanted to update the look. They went back and forth about painting the oak frames--which is perfectly understandable--but decided that paint would really give her the finish she wanted (wood purists, are you fainting?). In the end, I think the paint was a great choice. Why have something if you don't really like it? Plus they're practically oozing awesome now.
It seemed like a fairly manageable project from what I saw initially, and actually turned out to be a bit easier than even I anticipated. So if you have a pair of Mission-Style rockers that you want to re-do, have no fear. You don't even have to have a special staple gun for this one! All you need is a sewing machine, something that throws staples, and some gumption.
I won't get into a lengthy explanation, but if you have questions please feel free to ask and I will gladly go into more detail for you.
My Super-Handy Hubby painted the frames for me. Because he's such a good dad already :) As you can tell by the t-shirt he's wearing and the snow-free driveway, this was a while ago.
All slicked up in their new finish! I then sanded the edges very lightly. We wanted a tish of distressing for dimension, but nothing close to the "chippy" look. Just a light touch did the trick.
The back cushion had only a little sewing in the top corners, so that was really simple.
The fabric was installed by fitting the corners properly at the top, and then wrapping the fabric around to the back side to staple. This whole cushion was essentially an "insert" that screwed into the sides of the frame. It was a pretty slick system to work with.
The bottom cushion was a little more sewing, but it only involved attaching two side panels to the seat. Again, really simple.
Here's the finished product again. I apologize for the not-awesome pictures. I *may* have forgotten to take pictures until Joe was getting ready to load them into the truck for delivery, and it was dark out. Oops. But hey, at least we deliver! We deliver for the small cost of cookies and ice cream. Not really, but they did give us cookies and ice cream when we picked the chairs up...because they're super sweet people.
And now you can mentally sit in those chairs, rock back and forth and dream of how cute our baby is going to be!
In case you missed the Nursery Reveal! last week, you can check it out Here (or in the linked text before, but hey I like to be thorough).
And I did forget to post our Christmas picture this year, so I'll bid you adieu with that.
Photo Courtesy of Cheryl Lancaster
Have a great weekend, everyone!
~The Doodle Bug
I'm usually partyin' at these hangouts: